Thursday, May 18, 2006

Holy Smoke #3

Since the last posting, I have smoked my first Upman at the Taste of Addison event while listening to the Go Go's concert, enjoyed my first Partagas and returned to the Zino Platinum. I also recently attended a cigar event at the newly opened Up in Smoke located in Up Town on Pearl and McKinney. They were featuring the CAO Flavours. I purchased a sampler box for Stacey. She enjoyed the Moontrance which is described as a mild tobacco with an "intricate blend of natural exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla." The Flavours look like mini robustos and, in my opinion, a perfect smoke for women who don't want to smoke a regular cigar. Don't get me wrong, Stacey's favorite cigar is a pre-embargo Cuban we stumbled across while in San Antonio, but for a weekly smoke she prefers the smaller flavored cigars.

Tonight I smoked an Edge Maduro, Missle (Torpedo) by Rocky Patel 5.5 X 48, $4.75, purchased at the Up in Smoke at Up Town. Incidently, a Rocky Patel rep will be at the store on June 9th to share this cigar with customers. I imagine they will have some specials and some give aways.

I have to first talk about the feel and appearance of this cigar. The dark maduro wrapper shined with an oily gleam that remined me of the appearance of a good espresso coffee bean. According to Cigar.com, "the secret to the Edge is the 5 year old blend that is available in either Corojo of Maduro wrappers. Each cigar is hand rolled in Nicaragua and passes through a rigorous quality control process that ensures only the best cigars are put out to market." I can only say that in my limited experience the Edge has the look and feel of a high dollar cigar.

I have anticipated smoking this cigar for a few days now and finally the timing was right. The Rocky Patel website describes this cigar as a full flavored cigar for the "seasoned smoker." In fact, the site posts a warning that one should only smoke the cigar while sitting. Needless to say, I was a little nervous. I recently had a surprise jolt by the Camacho Coroyo Puro that I will talk about in a future posting.

The pre-draw aroma consisted of chocalate and a hint of coffee. While the draw was even throughout and demonstrated no real challenges, it was a bit more "tight" than any other cigar I have smoked. Consistent with this, the ash held firm throughout and a grey to white color. The initial taste of the cigar was tangy and earthy. About a third of the way through the smoke I began to experience some spiciness, that my palate couldn't quite pin point. The chocalate/coffee flavor remained subtlely throughout the smoke, but was not over-powering. Near the end of the smoke (and I only smoked about two thirds of the cigar) I experienced what tasted like an orange flavor. Overall, this cigar lived up to its reputation as a flavorful cigar, certainly more flavors than my inexperienced palate could isolate. I would not agree that this particular smoke was bold. I would say it is certainly flavorful, but falls more into a medium range. The wonderful flavors and with its affordable price, this cigar may find its way into a weekly or bi-weekly rotation.

Complimenting this smoke, I drank Bicardi Select, a rich and smooth Puerto Rican dark rum. I think this drink was responsible for drawing out an ocassional hint of honey in the flavor in the cigar. It was smooth and non-obtrusive.

The next posting will probably consist of a review of the Gloria de Cubana Reserve Figurado. I also anticipate smoking the CAO Brazillian after Stacey and my anniversary dinner at Texas de Brazil. I will also be smoking a CAO Soprano after the season finale of the Sopranos.

PLEASE, feel free to share your own reviews and preferences. I am still looking for input to schedule a live Holy Smoke at In the Humidor. As they were fond of saying in my Army days - smoke 'em if you have 'em. And may all your smokes be holy.

No comments: