Monday, May 01, 2006

Holy Smoke #2

Since the last posting, I have smoked three different cigars: Flor de Oliva (Gold), Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series Short Story (my current personal favorite) and a Vibe Corojo. I smoked the Short Story under the lightening filled skies of Austin with Jordan and Sara. Nothing like great company and conversation to really draw out a smoke.

Tonight I will review the Vibe torpedo made by United Tobacco at Rocky Patel’s Indian Tabac factory in Honduras. I picked up the cigar at a recent event at the Up in Smoke in Lewisville. I managed to get four $6 cigars for free. Nothing like getting a freebee. The VIBE Corojo torpedo is a blend of aged tobaccos from Nicaragua and Honduras topped off with an aged Honduran Corojo wrapper.

The cigar had a very nice, slightly oil, silky/shiny wrapper with minimal veins. Smooth and consistent with a beautiful texture. Wrapper looked nearly perfect. The band is a rather large green and gold with a modern look to it. Personally, I felt the band gives the cigar a "cheapish" look about not found with your more traditional bands.

Pre-light taste was tangy. On lighting, it began with a slightly nutty taste and an earth quality finish. Very mild cigar throughout. After the first third, the taste became creamier with hints of leather and a long, black coffee finish. Halfway through, nuts became more prominent with nuts/leather/coffee on the finish.

My thoughts on this is that it is a very good, quality smoke. It put out a lot of smoke with no draw problems at all. Burn on this was very good. No need for touchups. A flavorful and med bodied smoke. I would without a doubt buy some of these.

At $5.50 a cigar, this smoke is going to provide quite the bang for the buck.

Vital Statistics:
Size: 5 1/2 x 44
Shape: Torpedo
Wrapper: Honduras
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras
Est. Cost: $5.50

I had this cigar with a glass of Pinot Grigio made by Voyage by Origin. This Romanian wine possessed lime, melon and pear flavors. These flavors offered an interesting contrast to the taste of the cigar. The lime flavor seemed a little more prominent as I continued the drink. Fortunately, this did not distract from the Vibe's taste.

Upcoming reviews will include the CAO CX2, the Flor the Dominicana 2000 series and the Camacho Coroyo.

I am working on organizing an outing at In the Humidor. If you are interested in getting together for a live Holy Smoke, drop me a line at don.gonzalez@gmail.com and let me know what night works best for you.

May all your smokes be holy.

DG

No comments: